Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Soup is Good Food, but only 1 cup

The past 3 days have been pretty good. I'm watching portion sizes, eating veggies, replacing sweets with fruit, and exercising in some way. Its surprising how much unconscious eating throughout the day I do. I'm trying to be more mindful of what I eat and when I eat it. Night time is the right time for havin a snack. At least for me it is. Fruit and fat free Cool Whip have been my best friend the past 3 nights. Now I'm going to be as completely honest on this blog as my pride will allow. I have had 3 VERY small cookies a day. Give me a break, its only been 3 days. I'm a work in progress. Plus, if I have to live a life without chocolate cake, cookies, and pies then shoot me now. I have to learn moderation. Portion control is a big issue for me. First time on Weight Watcher's was about 17 years ago. While walking through the mall one day I discovered the holy grail at the Great American Cookie Company, the FAT FREE CHEESECAKE BROWNIE!! This was it! I had been given the secret to a happy life, key to the city, I knew how to get back to Kansas. Feeling all full of myself and 2 FAT FREE brownies I went to my weekly WW meeting. I had GAINED 2 lbs. Portion control!!! Lesson learned.
Here's a great simple recipe I tried last night. You can certainly substitue ground turkey for the ground beef. I had 1 cup and felt full. Enjoy!!

Taco Soup
1 lb ground beef or turkey
2 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (11 oz) can corn, white or yellow
1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes
1 (14 oz) can kidney beans
1 large onion, diced
1 pack taco seasoning
1 pack ranch dressing mix
1 1/2 cups water
Reduced sour cream (fat free is terrible)
Shredded cheddar cheese, reduced (doesn't melt as well as full on fat cheeese. Is it real cheese?)

Brown meat. Drain beans & corn. Add all ingredients in a pot EXCEPT SOUR CREAM AND CHEESE. Mix well. Simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with baked tortilla chips. Top off a bowl with sour cream and cheese.

1 comment:

  1. sounds good. I need to try that. Heard someone say yesterday at dr. office, she's waiting for the "chocolate diet" to come! sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete